Full-Time Senior Military Instructor (Non-JROTC)
Saint Thomas Academy seeks a Senior Military Instructor (Non-JROTC) beginning with the 2020-21 school year to serve as the primary or secondary instructor for cadets in one of four Military Leadership classes, grades 9-12. Responsible to develop, execute and provide supervision in all aspects of leadership development, curriculum, planning and military discipline in accordance with STA regulations and policies. Assist in the continuous improvement of and maintenance of a cadet leadership training program so cadets can develop and progress through the chain of command to eventually lead the Corps of Cadets.
Advise the Commandant of Cadets on issues of leadership, management, military discipline, curriculum, annual planning, logistics, technology, cadet data management and integration of the military program into school life.
Assist the Commandant of Cadets in the following: development and management of the military program and Corps of Cadets Structure at STA; assist in providing oversight to the Rifle Team, Clay Target Team, Ranger Team, Cannon Salute (Cadet Thunder) Crew, Crack Drill Squad and other co-curricular activities as assigned; formulation of policy and leadership programs that support the school’s mission and goals. Assist in the development of and focus on long range plans and goals for the school’s independent military leadership program.
Attend all STA events, conferences, fundraisers and athletic events, as prescribed by the Headmaster or the Commandant.
Ensure that the STA military traditions and uniforms are maintained.
Develop a positive working relationship with coworkers, parents and students.
This position is a 10 month (August through the beginning of June) school year position.
- Support Saint Thomas Academy and the St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese’s mission and goals and actively articulate them to the Academy’s constituents and the wider community.
- In support of the mission and goals of Saint Thomas Academy, employees will follow all school policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in Military Leadership department functions of the Academy.
- Provide leadership consistent with Catholic teaching. It is expected that all employees respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodation for the religious practice of employees not of the Catholic faith will be provided.
- Primary instructor for Military Leadership 2 (ML 2 – 10th grade).
- Ability to instruct the military program curriculum (any level ML 1-4).
- Primary Drill and Ceremony instructor to the Corps of Cadets which includes knowledge of all facets of U.S. Army Drill and Ceremonies in accordance with TC 3-21.5.
- Moderator for Ranger Team.
Job Qualifications: • Proven experience as a military company or field grade officer or Senior NCO • Current Reserve Component, National Guard, retired or honorably discharged – all services eligible • Extensive leadership experience at the platoon and company level, or higher • Experience in staff operations, and as a drill sergeant preferred • Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred • Proven teaching experience preferred • Knowledge of the functioning of a student-led Corps of Cadets • Demonstrated skills in managing and influencing student behavior both through motivational techniques and effective discipline • Proven organizational skills in educational management, including but not limited to: curriculum development, lesson planning, instructional techniques and assessments • Strong base of knowledge in leadership philosophies and instruction • Working knowledge in the instruction of military history and leadership philosophies • Superb knowledge of military protocol, to include drill and ceremonies • Superb public speaking skills • Willing to undertake additional school responsibilities, coaching and /or facilitating student organizations PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: The next Senior Military Instructor should demonstrate the following personal characteristics: • Leadership effectiveness shown through decisive behaviors and successful communication • Strong values and ethics that align with Roman Catholic values, military values and traditions of Saint Thomas Academy • Innovator, collaborator, networker, and relationship builder • Strong interpersonal skills • Positive role model • Others-oriented • Passion for the development of adolescent males
Organizational Name: Saint Thomas Academy
Organizational City: Mendota Heights
Position Contact Name: Deborah Berglund
Position Contact Title: HR Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Position Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Contact Phone: (651)683-1513
School Enrollment: 401-600
Minnesota Teacher's License: Preferred
Number of Classrooms: Information Not Provided
Number of Faculty: 51-75
How to ApplyInterested individuals should submit the following:
- Cover letter outlining your interest in the position and Saint Thomas Academy
- Please include any specific salary requirements
- Current resume, including the last 3 military positions, and all relevant instructional experiences (not to exceed 4 pages)
- Copy of the Officer Record Brief (ORB), Enlisted record Brief (ERB) or service equivalent
- Copy of last 3 military award citations
- Copy of last 3 military Officer Evaluation Reports (OER), Non-Commissioned Officer Evaluation Report (NCOER) or service equivalent
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of educational philosophy, not to exceed 2 pages
292 total views, 8 today