Full-Time Religious Education Instructor
Summary of Position
The Religion Teacher is responsible for the instruction of students, organization of instructional lessons and implementation of the religious education curriculum, while being a contributing member of the community.
In addition, the Religion Teacher, as a member of the Pastoral Care Team, is responsible for the promotion of our Catholic identity while ministering to staff and students. Promotion of our Catholic identity includes:
1. Lead an animated and quality Catholic Studies experience
2. Incorporate Native American aspects into the classroom and liturgy
3. Develop an active Christian environment on campus
4. Promote SCJ values
5. Increase the spirit of generosity (Circle of Courage value) among our students
6. Provide a vibrant liturgy experience
This is an exempt position.
Reports to the Director of Mission Integration
• Supports and models the Catholic Mission and the Native American Culture that are the foundations of St. Joseph’s Indian School.
• Promotes a reclaiming environment for all students through the Circle of Courage.
1. Teaches Catholic Studies in the grade school (Grades 1 to 8), implements the religious educational curriculum as indicated through written lesson plans, and conducts the sacramental preparation class, i.e. Baptism, Penance, First Communion.
2. With the Director of Mission Integration, provides Catholic Studies instruction to the high school students.
3. Accurately evaluates and records student achievement and progress for reporting to the administration and team members serving the child.
4. Promotes teamwork and open communication through regular participation in discussions with other staff who also directly supervise student, i.e. houseparents, other teachers, Family Services Counselors, and families of students.
5. Acts in accordance to the Guidelines established by the school administration to provide effective supervision and quality education.
6. Effectively uses planning time for job-related duties and activities.
7. Acts as a member of the Pastoral Care Team and contributes to the overall Catholic identity on campus by participating in liturgy planning and assisting with Sunday liturgy.
8. Works in the development, planning and completion of student service projects.
9. Promotes the concept of youth ministry through the involvement of students in various on- and off-campus events.
10. Immediately reports any type of abuse or neglect, suspected or alleged, as well as any serious accidents or illnesses affecting the students.
11. Assists with the completion of state or local reports, surveys, inventories, plans of study, and any form required by St. Joseph’s Indian School.
12. Works toward professional growth by attending workshops and taking continuing education courses.
13. Completes other responsibilities as required by the Director of Mission Integration.
• Possess a four-year degree in Elementary Education preferred
• Be certified as a teacher by the state of South Dakota preferred
• Equivalent experience will be considered
• Practicing and knowledge of the Catholic faith
Organizational Name: St. Joseph's Indian School
Organizational City: Chamberlain, SD
Position Contact Name: Mandy McLaughlin
Position Contact Title: Human Resources Assistant
Position Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Contact Phone: 605-234-3275
Setting: Information Not Provided
Number of Parish Households: Information Not Provided
How to ApplyPlease contact Mandy McLaughlin, Human Resources Assistant at email@example.com to apply.
444 total views, 6 today