Part-Time Music Director
To minister, play and plan the sacred music that accompanies parish liturgies and encourages full participation of the congregation. Develop and implement liturgical formation and musical training for music ministers. Plan, rehearse, and schedule music at Masses and special liturgies in accordance with the liturgical requirements of the Catholic Church.
This is a part-time position working approximately 13-14 hours per week. Some weeks may require more hours due to special liturgies or Holy Days.
- Play, plan, rehearse, and schedule music for assigned parish Masses, Holy Days, Funerals and weddings as requested..
- Conduct choirs at scheduled Masses.
- Schedule music ministers, directors, accompanists, instrumentalists and cantors for Masses.
- Supervise, communicate and schedule other music groups, e.g. Adult Choirs, Children’s Christmas Choir.
- Develop and implement musical formation and training for volunteer music ministers and cantors.
- Maintain music library, files, recordings and reference materials.
- Prepare worship aids and music booklets for seasons and special liturgies.
- Replace music, order music supplies and renew copyrights as needed.
- Participate in planning with Pastor and Liturgy Committee.
- Recruit music ministers.
- Support, evaluate and appreciate volunteer music ministers.
- Prepare and monitor music budget.
- Maintain music sources: choral music, accompaniment books, instrumental music, instruments, church sound system, etc.
- Schedule tuning and repair of organ, acoustic pianos and other instruments and equipment.
- Provide musical formation to the congregation to encourage full participation.
- Maintain professional competence through regular music practice.
- Respect and follow Roman Catholic Doctrine and religious practices.
- Participate in parish staff meetings as requested.
- Collaborate with other staff to meet the goals and objectives of the parish.
- Stay in contact with the Archdiocesan Office of Worship/Music, ALM (Association of Liturgical Ministers) and NPM (National Association of Pastoral Musicians).
- Network with parishes throughout the diocese and encourage the involvement of ministers in diocesan events.
- Remain current in music through reading and ongoing educational opportunities.
Bachelor’s degree in music or related field, masters preferred
Demonstrated music skills
5+ years of music experience in a Catholic Church
Demonstrated competency in choral conducting and a thorough knowledge of vocal singing
Demonstrated knowledge of role of music in Catholic liturgy
Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Roman Missal
Work effectively and collegially with others
Learn and implement new policies and procedures
Understanding of Archdiocesan policies
Desire to participate in and continue creating a strong faith community
Familiarity with a broad range of church music styles
Work without supervision
Take direction from supervisor
Proficiently operate musical instruments
Provide excellence in staff, volunteer and public relations by responding to requests in a timely manner, performing job duties in a respectful and courteous manner
Pass Archdiocesan background checks and complete VIRTUS
Organizational Name: Presentation of Mary Catholic Church
Organizational City: Maplewood
Position Contact Name: Fr. Peter Ly
Position Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Contact Phone: 651-777-8116
Deadline: Open until position is filled
Benefits: Not Included
Number of Parish Households: 501-1,000
How to ApplyQualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three letters of recommendation. If a music sample is available to listen to, please send a link to: Fr. Peter Ly @ email@example.com
213 total views, 4 today