Full-Time Maintenance Generalist – Evening
Title: Maintenance Generalist – Evening
Reports to: Director of Maintenance
Direct Reports: None
Provides Work Direction: None
Receives Direction: from Parish Administrator, Pastor, School Principal, department heads as appropriate
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 1:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; on call as needed at other times
Benefits eligible: Yes
Last revision: 05/29/2019
Job Purpose: To provide general maintenance and custodial services to all assigned buildings including cleaning, waste disposal, grounds and snow removal.
Statement on Working for the Catholic Church: Employment in and by the Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, nor can it embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. It is preferred that this employee be a Catholic. It is expected that all employees respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodation for the religious practice of employees not of the Catholic faith will be provided.
Note: The following responsibilities, 1 through 18, are essential functions.
1. Parish Center: remove trash and vacuum main level and upper level. Sweep and mop stairwells. Clean restrooms (including restocking), windows and drinking fountains.
2. Preschool: remove trash and vacuum. Clean other surfaces as needed or directed.
3. Plaza: autoscrub floor as needed. Mop/sweep as needed. Arrange furniture or displays as requested.
4. Provide or assist with set ups as requested, including special displays or arrangements due to liturgical seasons or special events.
5. In the second floor office area, to be able to clean the Conference room tables: remove trash and vacuum, clean table surfaces; leaving no residue on surface, and cleaning the bathroom that is located adjacent to the break room.
6. As requested, assist Director of Maintenance in ensuring that proper preventative maintenance procedures are being followed and logged on permanent records for all mechanical and electrical equipment. Installs, inspects, cleans and test batteries, checks and changes oil and filters, greases/lubricates, checks fluid levels, checks and changes belts on pumps.
7. Installs, maintains, repairs lighting and fixtures.
8. Perform snow removal and proper maintenance of snow removal equipment. This may require working before or after regular hours. Keep supervisor informed if schedule varies.
9. Prepares surfaces for application of paint: determines types of surface preparation required; fills holes, cracks and joints with appropriate materials.
10. Stains, varnishes and lacquers wood surfaces: matches as necessary wood/grain pattern.
11. Winterizes structures (e.g. windows, doors) as required to protect buildings. Caulks, weather strips seals and insulates as part of preparation for winter. Removes all window air conditioners
12. Repairs/replaces plumbing fixtures and plumbing, mends burst pipes, and opens clogged drains. This includes drinking fountains.
13. Assembles/disassembles and moves office furniture, equipment and modular paneling.
14. Maintains grounds: seeds and mows grass, hauls and spreads top soil, cleans litter, removes weeds and other materials as part of spring/fall clean-up.
15. Assures cleanliness of all internal areas of assigned buildings: including meeting/classrooms, bathrooms, storage rooms and hallways.
16. Prepares and cleans work sites for facility/grounds maintenance projects.
17. Secure and arm all exterior and interior Parish Center, Church and exterior School doors.
18. Other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or the pastor or parish administrator.
*To be present where needed, ready to work as needed to meet responsibilities. Includes recognizing when situations require more effort, satisfying responsibilities in a timely manner, providing an example of punctuality and attendance, and generally ensuring all is ready and taken care of.
*Organize, prepare and maintain files and information. Gather information from fax, email and other sources, ensure all information has been received, follow up as necessary, organize reports and make them available for convenient reference, maintain for the designated time, discard at designated time.
*Maintain and improve work knowledge and skills such as understanding requirements and work procedures, purpose of work completed, computer use and general building management.
*Meet all communication requirements including interpersonal skills with parish and school employees as well as visitors, guests, school families, and parishioners. Includes keeping superiors and appropriate others informed.
*Help create a productive environment where there is harmony, good morale, and cooperative teamwork. Monitor self-productivity and take corrective action as appropriate.
*Responds to night or weekend emergency calls concerning the need for prompt on-site presence due to a break-down of equipment, a security break, fire, need to remove accumulated snow.
*Assists in preparing liturgical environment as needed.
*Maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality of all work data.
Other Responsibilities: includes other responsibilities identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by supervisor or pastor.
The responsibilities listed above are representative of the job and are not inclusive. Those preceded by an asterisk (*) are essential job functions.
Job Qualifications: Title: Maintenance Generalist - Evening Qualifications 1. High School/Trade School Graduate 2. Demonstrated interest, knowledge, skills and experience in this type of work, including plant heating and cooling systems, electricity, lighting and plumbing. 3. Familiarity with boiler operations preferred. 4. Must be able to pass a physical examination. 5. Must be able to pass a background check, sign Code of Conduct and attend safety training. Mental Demands 1. Ability to accept supervisor direction and work independently. 2. Available for prescheduled weekend on-call duty and occasional other hours. 3. Ability to plan, organize, and meet deadlines and to manage multiple concurrent tasks. 4. High level of organizational skills and ability to work under pressure and with interruptions. 5. Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work without supervision, but obtain direction when needed. 6. Strong interpersonal skills 7. Must be able to keep accurate records 8. Understand the importance of confidentiality Physical Demands 1. Work 40+ hours per week 2. Able to stand or walk for long periods of time. 3. Able to climb stairs and ladders. 4. Able to lift up to 40 lbs. using proper techniques; ask for assistance if needed. 5. Able to work long hours when the position demands. 6. Serve in on-call status as requested
Organizational Name: St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
Organizational City: New Brighton, MN
Position Contact Name: Patrick Hinnenkamp
Position Contact Title: Director of Maintenance
Position Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Contact Phone: 651-633-8333
Deadline: July 31, 2019
Number of Parish Households: 2,001 or more
How to ApplyPlease apply to Pat Hinnenkamp by mail, email or fax (651-633-7404). A job description and employment application are available upon request.
182 total views, 2 today