Negotiable / To Be Determined Director of Sacred Music & Liturgy
Musical Responsibilities – Accompanist/Organist/Choir Director, Directs all aspects of the parish music program.
- Accompaniment: Responsible as the primary organ/piano accompanist for Sunday, Holy Day, funerals and other liturgical events.
- Responsible for directing and accompanying the 5 pm, 8 am and 10 am Masses each weekend.
- Accompany and direct at funerals as requested. A separate stipend will be provided for this.
- Accompany at weddings if requested. A separate stipend will be provided for this.
- Choir Director: Responsible to direct and accompany (if necessary) all choirs.
- Provide direction, supervision; on-going support, timely communications and music needs as addressed for these groups.
- Direct and lead weekly rehearsals of choirs.
- Oversee music selection in consultation with the Pastor
- Growth of the choirs in size and ability
- Recruit members: Talent development and actual directing
- Musicians: Recruit, train, schedule and provide on-going formation for accompanists and instrumentalists for Sundays, Holy Days and other liturgical events as needed.
- Provide supervision to musicians.
- Cantors: Recruit, train, schedule and provide on-going formation for cantors for necessary Sundays, Holy Days and other liturgical events as needed.
- Choirs: Ensure that direction, supervision; on-going support and sacred music needs are addressed for all existing music groups. This includes the following existing choirs:
- Evaluate each choir and communicate any recommendations to the pastor.
- Evaluate the need for and develop additional music groups as appropriate.
- Schedules: Schedule all musicians, choirs, cantors and accompanists for Sunday, Holy Day and other liturgical events. Communicate schedules with pastor, choirs and others involved.
- Spend time weekly practicing organ and piano music.
Musical Responsibilities – General/Ministry/Other
- Planning: Work with the Pastor to plan, develop and implement Sunday liturgies, Holy day and special liturgies.
- With pastor and choirs, plan music for weekend and Holy Day Masses.
- Oversee and prepare worship aids for special events; such as funerals.
- Facilitate hymn selection.
- Assist priests (others) with learning Liturgical music.
- Funerals: Collaborate with presider to oversee and provide for music needs. Contact the choir and prepare the order of worship and funerals.
- Weddings: Work with the presider and wedding coordinators with wedding preparation.
- Music Library: Oversee, maintain, organize and update Music Library.
- Hymnals. Responsible for oversight, upkeep and recommendations on hymnals.
- Copyright laws: Responsible for licenses and copyright laws. Adhere to copyright laws for all music and worship aids.
- Instruments: Oversee maintenance and ensure upkeep of all Church instruments. Evaluate and make recommendations for future instrument needs, purchases and upgrades.
- Participate in ongoing professional education [in related musical field] and attend all required workshops offered by the Archdiocese related areas of ministry.
- Operate within the department’s budget.
- Develop annual calendar for ministry area and provide information for master parish calendar.
- Handle emergency needs and develop alternate plans for such situations as they arise.
- Consult with pastor on a regular basis to help implement a liturgical vision for the parish.
- Help organize, plan, and prepare for all liturgies:
- Weekend Masses
- Annual Liturgies (Christmas, Easter, Holy Week, Lent, Advent)
- Para-liturgies (processions, blessings
- Day of Mercy confession event
- Help wedding couples plan their liturgy (readings, intercessions, etc.)
- Help with funeral planning
- Train new volunteers on their respective positions (EMHC, Sacristan, Altar Server, etc.)
- Hold training sessions
- Send out reminders and updates as procedures need to be adjusted.
- Work with volunteer leaders who currently schedule volunteers for positions
- Altar Server
- Homebound Communion
- Manage Ministry Scheduler Pro application
- Order and maintain supplies of liturgical goods.
- Encourage participation in various needed programs (EMHC, Sacristan, Server, Homebound, etc.)
- Bring new ideas and improvements to current liturgical practices (baptisms, weddings, funerals, etc.)
- Attend workshops, classes, and information conferences from time-to-time to further learning.
- Helps to improve liturgical environment
- Help create a productive environment where there is harmony, good morale, and cooperative teamwork, evaluate and take corrective action as appropriate and needed.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of all work data.
- Meet all communication requirements including interpersonal skills with the employees and parish. Includes keeping superiors, co-workers, volunteers and appropriate others informed.
- Stewardship: Able to assist Pastor in helping foster and form a parish committed to the stewardship way of life. This includes:
- Willingness to grow in faith and prayer life as part of the parish’s vision.
- Willingness to embrace and help the parish foster Total Stewardship and most importantly must be an active disciple of Jesus Christ and in love with the Church and their faith.
- Communicate information on the programs as needed, to parishioners and broader community through various methods, including the parish bulletin and other media.
Job Qualifications: JOB QUALIFICATIONS - MINISTRY: * Practicing Roman Catholic and a living disciple of Jesus Christ. * Knowledge of, and experience in, the rich tradition of Sacred Music in the Catholic Church. * Experience singing and/or directing Gregorian Chant and Polyphony, including fluent reading of chant notation. * Knowledge and experience in planning parish liturgies and the liturgical practices of the Universal Church * College degree in Music and/or Organ or related area or equivalent prior work experience. * Demonstrate competency to play organ as well as piano. Strong overall music skills * Experience as a skilled choir director with the ability to direct a variety of choirs (i.e. adult choir, children’s choir, etc.). Three years of experience preferred. Ability to direct from the bench. * Ability to work with and support a variety of musical groups (i.e. youth/children, vocalists, and instrumentalists, etc.) * Knowledgeable in church music, including Latin, Gregorian chant, Church hymnody. * Knowledge of and ability to educate others on the organ. * Ability to involve youth and young adults in the liturgy. * Ability to be directed by pastor. * Strong leadership skills; ability to set vision, goals and direction. * Strong analytical, planning and coordinating skills. * Working with others: * Ability to make decisions and work without direct supervision * Ability to work in a manner that encourages participation and fosters growth of the programs * Willingness to work with and minister to diverse people and situations * Ability to work collaboratively in a team effort with other staff and parishioners * Ability to organize, supervise all St. John’s choirs * Ability to engage/immerse themselves into parish life * Communication * Effective communication skills to work with varying groups of people * Possess well-developed oral communication and presentation skills JOB QUALIFICATIONS – ADMINISTRATIVE: * Ability to operate and learn current computer system * Comprehensive computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Google Docs. MENTAL DEMANDS: * Ability to keep calm in chaotic situations * Keep confidentiality * Works well with others PHYSICAL DEMANDS: * Ability to climb stairs * Ability to lift 25 pounds * Flexibility to work one evening a week and weekend hours. Must be flexible in meeting the needs of the job.
Organizational Name: Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church
Organizational City: Jordan
Position Contact Name: Fr. Neil Bakker
Position Contact Title: Pastor
Position Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Contact Phone: 952-492-2640
Submitter Name: Jonathan Brandtner
Submitter Title: Parish Business Administrator
Submitter Email: email@example.com
Submitter Phone: 952-492-2640
Benefits: Information Not Provided
Setting: Information Not Provided
Number of Parish Households: 501-1,000
How to ApplyTo apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Fr. Neil Bakker, firstname.lastname@example.org.
617 total views, 14 today