Negotiable / To Be Determined Director of Music & Liturgy
Job Purpose: The Primary Objective of this position is to provide music that elevates liturgy into a transcendent experience, coordinate liturgical ministries, and coordinate parish events that encourage deepening parishioner and community engagement.
Statement on Working for the Catholic Church: Employment in and by the Catholic Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, such that it can embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. It is required that this employee be a Catholic.
- Church music accompanist on both the piano and organ.
- Provides for Music for all weekend and Holy Day and Special feast day celebrations.
- This includes all Saturday 5:00 pm, Sunday 8:00 am and 10:00 am liturgies, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Holy Days of Obligations, and any other special liturgies during the year.
- Assist with planning and accompaniment for Friday 9:00 am School Mass, as needed. Work with school accompanist, school choir, and Montessori Guides to ensure congruency of school liturgies with overall liturgical style of the parish.
- Supervise other regular, part time, paid or unpaid musicians.
- Schedule all musicians for liturgies (choir, cantors, scholas, instrumentalists)
- Coordinate and direct rehearsals as needed.
- Assist in coordinating the hand-bell choir for use in our funeral services.
- Schedule musicians needed for Christmas, Easter and other special occasions, and ensure there is adequate time for the instrumentalists to prepare.
- Schedule and coordinate all liturgical ministries, including greeters, ushers, lectors, Eucharistic Ministers, hospitality ministers, altar servers, and sacristans.
- Coordinate and oversee parish events that bring people together, both from within the parish, as well as from the outside community. For example: speaker series, concerts, festivals, and other community building events that invite people to learn more about the St. John’s community, invite them to encounter Truth, Beauty and Goodness, help them to find a place in the Church.
- Oversee all uses of the church and Gathering Place space to ensure congruency with the mission of the parish and the designated purposes of each space.
- Participate in creating a productive environment, promoting good morale, adequate communication and cooperative teamwork.
Other Responsibilities: includes other responsibilities identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by pastor.
1. College degree or equivalent in music training and experience.
2. Five years of musical accompanying/directing experience, three of which are with a Catholic community.
3. Demonstrated music skills.
4. Practicing Catholic.
Requirements of Position
1. Knowledge of the structure of Catholic Liturgical practice.
2. Ability to work as a member of a team.
3. Maintaining high standards of confidentiality.
4. Proficiency as a musician.
5. Good written and oral communications skills.
6. The ability to direct volunteers and paid staff.
7. The ability to work without supervision.
Organizational Name: St, John the Baptist Catholic Parish
Organizational City: Excelsior
Position Contact Name: Andrea McMerty-Brummer
Position Contact Title: Parish Administrator
Position Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Contact Phone: 952-474-8868
Submitter Phone: 952-474-8868
Number of Parish Households: 501-1,000
How to ApplyPlease submit resume, cover letter and professional references to Andrea McMerty-Brummer, firstname.lastname@example.org, or via mail to: St. John the Baptist Catholic Parish 680 Mill Street Excelsior, MN 55331
414 total views, 8 today