Full-Time Dean of Students
Saint Thomas Academy seeks a Dean of Students to provide leadership to the Saint Thomas Academy community in the areas of student discipline, attendance, safety and security and promotion of positive student behavior.
- Support Saint Thomas Academy and the St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese’s mission and goals and actively articulate them to the Academy’s constituents and the wider community.
- In support of the mission and goals of Saint Thomas Academy, employees will follow all school policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in administrative functions of the Academy.
- Provide leadership consistent with Catholic teaching; the position of Dean of Students at Saint Thomas Academy is expected to be a practicing Catholic in good-standing with the church.
- Proactively and reactively attend to behavior issues in and out of the classroom.
- Carry out consequences in accordance with the Saint Thomas Academy Student Handbook for behavior and attendance rules violations.
- Coordinate and lead Board of Discipline meetings at the request of the Upper School Director.
- Conduct parent meetings when a student has violated the school chemical health policy and communicate results to Upper School Director, School Counselor and Athletics & Activities Director.
- Enforce a schoolwide program of progressive discipline including informal student redirection, daily and Saturday detention, In-School Suspension, Out-of-School Suspension, Chemical Infraction Meetings, and Board of Discipline Hearings.
- Attend daily Formation and assist Leadership Department with student conduct.
- Act as a school liaison to Social Services, Police, Probation, and Truancy and Courts.
- Represent Saint Thomas Academy in disciplinary matters on and off campus.
- Provide supervision at school-sponsored activities.
- Monitor daily attendance, take necessary actions to improve individual student attendance and reduce tardiness among those students demonstrating chronic behaviors.
- Follow a progressive disciplinary model to address chronic attendance issues.
- Work with the Attendance Clerk throughout the school day to correctly identify students deemed unexcused absent or tardy; follow-up with students, parents and teachers as needed.
- Hold daily detention for students in violation of attendance policies.
- Communicate in written form with students and families issues of chronic absenteeism/tardiness; conduct family meetings to address these issues as needed.
- Arrange parent permission forms for extra-curricular, classroom, and special events.
School Safety and Security
- Schedule and conduct all campus safety drills including tornado, fire and ALICE active shooter drills.
- Lead all necessary faculty and staff training required to execute safety drills safely and effectively.
- Ensure all safety procedures are properly documented and updated including maps, directions, and points of contact.
- Annually update and communicate relevant information from the STA Crisis Manual.
- Consult with the Upper School Director and Facilities Director on matters of school security on an ongoing basis.
- Communicate with parents regarding behavior and attendance issues, coordinating parent involvement in disciplinary matters and Board of Discipline meetings.
- Communicate with faculty and staff in their daily relationship with students.
- Communicate regularly with the Upper School Director on matters of discipline, attendance, student chemical health and other issues as needed.
- Communicate with the Dean of Students and other administrators at Convent of the Visitation School as needed regarding behavior and attendance issues between the schools.
- Communicate with all stakeholders including parents, students, teachers, staff and others as needed.
- Assume responsibilities of Upper School Director in his absence
- Serve on the Administrative Team
- Serve on the Student, Teacher Assistance Team (STAt)
- Consultant on Admissions Committee requests that involve student disciplinary issues
- Serve as point of contact for external security consultation
- Attend Dean of Students affinity groups for MAIS and Archdiocesan schools
- Manage daily lunchroom supervision
- Coordination & supervision of all school dances
- Co-lead the senior speech program
- Co-lead advisory program with members of the counseling department
- Collaborate with Counseling Department on design and execution of grade level retreats
- Attend and participate in school and after school functions
Job Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field Minimum of 5 years of experience leading faculty and or educational programs MN teaching license preferred Experience with a schoolwide disciplinary program preferred
Organizational Name: Saint Thomas Academy
Organizational City: Mendota Heights
Position Contact Name: Deborah Berglund
Position Contact Title: HR Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Position Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Contact Phone: (651)683-1513
Number of Parish Households: Information Not Provided
How to ApplyQualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and references to: Deborah Berglund, HR Payroll and Benefits Specialist, Saint Thomas Academy, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 949 Mendota Heights Road, Mendota Heights, MN 55120 Position will remain open until filled
486 total views, 2 today