Full-Time Coordinator of Discipleship for Youth
Job Purpose: To provide a dynamic and comprehensive program for youth in grades 6-12. This youth program currently includes Middle School Ministry to 6-8th graders, a 2 year Confirmation preparation program for 8th and 9th graders, Senior High Youth Ministry for 9-12th graders as well as a Peer Ministry Team. All efforts will aim to help teens grow in love for Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church, and prepare them for a life of discipleship through moral formation, catechesis, service, Christian fellowship and involvement in parish life.
Statement on Working for the Catholic Church: Employment in and by the Catholic Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, such that it can embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. It is required that this employee be a Catholic.
- *Work collaboratively with team to implement youth discipleship programming, both staff and volunteers.
- *Meet regularly with supervisor and ODM team.
- *Clearly communicate to teens, families, and the wider parish community all that happens within the youth program; from promoting events to telling the glory stories of the lives of our teens.
- *Handle administrative tasks to effectively and efficiently execute programs, retreats, events, and activities. Such as program schedules, weekly communication emails, permission forms, etc.
- Coordinate parish outreach events, trainings, and programming for parents and youth in the parish community, such as coordinating speakers, trainers, facility needs, meals, supplies, etc.
- *Recruit, train, and supervise all adult and teen leaders in the parish to lead discipleship groups and ensure these leaders have adequate knowledge of faith and catechetical skills as well as training in pastoral practice.
- *Participate in relational, discipleship making youth ministry with 6-12th graders, creating and taking advantage of opportunities to interact (and team to interact) with both youth and families of youth.
- *Update and evaluate effectiveness of ministry components.
- *Maintain effective working relationships with all youth, parents, parish staff, volunteers, and parishioners.
- *Fiscal responsibility for youth ministry budget.
- *Assure adherence to all Safe Environment rules, guidelines, and requirements from the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, such as permission forms for offsite events, driver requirements, student curriculum, etc.
- *Comply with all insurance guidelines for all designated programs, events, and activities.
- *Be present and attend parish liturgies, for example: All 4 masses one weekend per month and all Ignite Masses on Sunday Evenings with the intent to connect with teens and families, especially those not connected to the current youth programs.
- *Be present and attend parish and school events in order to build relationships with parents and families.
- *Handle conflicts, challenges, and issues with maturity by providing pastoral care, mentoring, and wisdom to both adults and youth.
Ministries Currently Include: (Would be responsible for growing these ministries within the discipleship vision of the department.)
*Middle School Ministry
- 7th grade Faith Formation as part of our Family Formation Program
- One onsite session on the 1st Wednesday of the month
- Creating 3 simple home lessons for parents and teens to accomplish together
- Monthly Middle School Youth Group
- Extreme Faith Camp
- 2 year process preparation process
- Year 1 – is focused on Encountering Jesus and sustaining a relationship with Him
- 4 Lifeline Events per year
- Archdiocesan Youth Day
- Year 1 – is focused on Encountering Jesus and sustaining a relationship with Him
- Retreat in April
- 4 prayer labs with sponsor or parent proxy
- Homily notebook
- Year 2 – Light the Fire
- Focus on new life in Christ through the Holy Spirit
- 2 sessions per month on Sunday evenings (YDisciple for content)
- Saint Report
- Holiness Revolution book with sponsors
- Life in the Spirit Retreat in February
*Senior High Youth Ministry
- (New in 2019-2020) Supervise the NET team in fall of 2019 and using the momentum of their outreach to build a process of discipleship for the Senior High Program
- Youth Outreach Plan is already in place
- Oversee plan tasks and check in regularly with team to help in implementation and follow through on outreach plan
- Weekly meeting with NET Team Leaders
- Weekly meeting with Net team
- Meet with NET staff supervisor 4 times throughout ministry year
- Peer Ministry team helping with Confirmation and Middle School Youth Group
- 2 year rotation of Summer Steubenville Youth Conference and Summer Mission Trip
- National March for Life in Washington DC
*To be present where needed, ready to work as needed to meet responsibilities. Includes recognizing when situations require more effort, satisfying responsibilities in a timely manner, providing an example of punctuality and attendance, and generally ensuring all is ready and taken care of.
*Organize, prepare and maintain files and information. Gather information from fax, email and other sources, ensure all information has been received, follow up as necessary, organize reports and make them available for convenient reference, maintain for the designated time, discard at designated time.
*Maintain and improve work knowledge and skills such as understanding requirements and work procedures, purpose of work completed, computer use and general building management.
*Meet all communication requirements including interpersonal skills with parish and school employees as well as visitors, guests, school families, and parishioners. Includes keeping superiors and appropriate others informed.
*Help create a productive environment where there is harmony, good morale, and cooperative teamwork. Monitor self-productivity and take corrective action as appropriate.
*Maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality of all work data.
Other Responsibilities: includes other responsibilities identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by supervisor or pastor.
The responsibilities listed above are representative of the job and are not inclusive. Those preceded by an asterisk (*) are essential job functions.
Job Qualifications: Qualifications 1. Must be a practicing Catholic with a sound understanding of Catholic Tradition and Scripture. 2. Demonstrate understanding and acceptance of Catholic doctrine. 3. Bachelor of arts degree in ministry, theology or related field. Master’s degree preferred. 4. Three years’ experience working in similar position. 5. Demonstrated skills and interests in this type of work. 6. Desire to help lead youth of the parish to become authentic disciples of Jesus Christ. 7. Ability to satisfactorily pass a criminal background check. 8. Strong computer and social media skills. Be knowledgeable in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook). Mental Demands 1. Ability to plan, organize, and meet deadlines and to manage multiple concurrent tasks. 2. High level of organizational skills and ability to work under pressure and with interruptions. 3. Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to initiate and problem solve. Must work well with both adults and young people. 4. Strong communication skills that articulate the parish mission and invite young people to participate. Effectively able to address conflict and provide inspiration. 5. Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work without supervision, but obtain direction when needed. 6. Demonstrate leadership in youth ministry. 7. Be flexible in order to deal with unscheduled requests and evening and weekend hours. 8. Comfortable leading and speaking to large groups of people. 9. Understand the importance of confidentiality. Physical Demands 1. Work 40+ hours per week 2. Able to sit or stand for long periods of time 3. Able to lift up to 15 lbs. (office materials, etc.) using proper techniques 4. Able to work long hours when the position demands 5. Able to participate in evening and/or weekend meetings, events or Masses
Organizational Name: St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
Organizational City: New Brighton, MN
Position Contact Name: Jessica Balzarini
Position Contact Title: Director of Discipleship and Mission
Position Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Contact Phone: 651-633-8333
Submitter Name: Mark Dittman
Submitter Title: Parish Business Adminstrator
Submitter Email: email@example.com
Submitter Phone: 651-633-8333
Deadline: June 14, 2019
Number of Parish Households: 2,001 or more
How to ApplyPlease send cover letter and resume to Jessica Balzarini, Director of Discipleship and Mission, firstname.lastname@example.org.
480 total views, 4 today