Full-Time Buildings and Grounds Manager
Job Purpose: To oversee and supervise all aspects of maintenance, safety and improvements of the parish buildings and properties, including church, school, rectory and cemetery. Work cooperatively with the pastor, business administrator, principal, faith formation director and other staff members and volunteers to provide efficient, safe, and effective pastoral and educational environment.
Statement on Working for the Catholic Church: Employment in and by the Catholic Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, nor can it embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. It is NOT required that this employee be a Catholic, however it is expected that all employees respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodations for the religious practice of employees not of the Roman Catholic faith will similarly be provided.
- Maintenance Functions
- Maintain building systems (boiler, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc) and equipment in a fully operational manner.
- Daily walk-through of facilities to monitor the functioning of equipment, stocking of supplies, and miscellaneous repairs and cleaning.
- Assign and direct maintenance staff and volunteers in the cleaning and maintenance of parish buildings. Complete cleaning and maintenance tasks as assigned, as a member of the maintenance and custodial team.
- Assign and direct preventive maintenance programs and maintain logs of all repairs and replacements.
- Maintain elevator maintenance log and insure routine inspections are performed.
- Lead annual inspection of campus by fire inspector and insurance inspector and correct any noted deficiencies.
- Ensure that rooms are set up and ready according to facility use schedule.
- Supervise and perform lawn and ground maintenance, snow removal, salt and sanding.
- Cemetery Functions
- Manage maintenance and operations of cemetery grounds, mausoleum and garage.
- Accurately verify, mark, prepare, open/close and restore graves before and after traditional and cremation burials. Work in coordination with grave digging contractor for traditional burials.
- Set up for committal service at gravesite (chairs, grave covering, etc)
- Assist funeral home and family as needed or requested.
- Operate lift and assist with entombments as needed.
- Manage standards (ie. remove in fall, label, store, replace in the spring).
- Place standards and plant stands with plants or wreaths in upright position.
- Prepare and open mausoleum chapel. Spot-clean chapel as needed: dust, sweep, vacuum, clean glass. Turn on heat/air-conditioning. Set up chairs, urn stand.
- Prepare, open, drape niche or crypt space in preparation for burial prior to family and funeral home arrival, and replace granite face after committal service and family departure.
- Maintain tools, equipment and garage in and organized and uncluttered manner.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks (snow removal, place ice melt, sweep dirt and leaves), planters, burial sites, mausoleum, and grounds.
- Keep grave sites tidy and well-kept.
- Facilities Functions
- While on premises, be aware of the presence of other people and ensure that they are on site for a valid reason. Take security actions required to maintain safety and order, including responding as needed to security and fire alarms that may occur outside of normal working hours.
- Monitor and manage energy conservation and respond to energy curtailment requests.
- Assist with liturgical environment activities to decorate the church for liturgical seasons.
- Maintain inventory of building and cleaning supplies and order as needed in the most cost effective manner possible.
- Management Functions
- Plans, organizes and manages maintenance staff and volunteers in the safe and efficient operations of buildings, grounds, and systems.
- Manage maintenance budget and review appropriate invoices and approve payment.
- Manage vendors for contract services, write proposals, seek bids, review contracts with Business Administrator.
- Ensure compliance with parish policies and procedures related to safety and risk management.
- Ensure adequate maintenance coverage at all times, including vacation and sick leave requests, holy days, holidays and parish events.
- Participate in creating a productive work environment, promoting good morale, adequate communication and cooperative teamwork.
*To be present where needed, ready to work as needed to meet responsibilities. Includes recognizing when situations require more effort, satisfying responsibilities in a timely manner, providing an example of punctuality and attendance, and generally ensuring all is ready and taken care of.
*Organize, prepare and maintain files and information. Gather information from fax, email and other sources, ensure all information has been received, follow up as necessary, organize reports and make them available for convenient reference, maintain for the designated time, discard at designated time.
*Maintain and improve work knowledge and skills such as understanding requirements and work procedures, purpose of work completed, computer use and general building and grounds management.
*Meet all communication requirements including interpersonal skills with parish and school employees as well as visitors, guests, school families, and parishioners. Includes keeping superiors and appropriate others informed.
*Help create a productive environment where there is harmony, good morale, and cooperative teamwork. Monitor self-productivity and take corrective action as appropriate.
*Maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality of all work data.
Other Responsibilities: includes other responsibilities identified as needed by the employee and approved and/or assigned by pastor.
Job Qualifications: Qualifications 1. High school diploma or equivalent work experience including management and supervisory experience. 2. 2nd class grade C engineer’s license 3. Five years of experience as a school custodian or the equivalent in custodial services or experiences in another institution or firm. 4. Experience working in a similar environment 5. Ability to satisfactorily pass a criminal background check, complete VIRTUS safe environment training, and sign a Pastoral Code of Conduct. 6. Ability to satisfactorily comply with the requirements of PACE/PRISM program of Catholic Mutual Insurance, including annual in-service training as prescribed by the parish/archdiocese. Mental Demands 1. Able to plan, organize, and meet deadlines and to manage multiple concurrent tasks. 2. High level of organizational skills and ability to work under pressure and with interruptions. 3. Effectively able to address conflict and provide inspiration. 4. Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work without supervision, but obtaining direction when needed. 5. Strong interpersonal skills 6. Able to keep accurate records 7. Dependable and punctual 8. Able to develop and maintain a productive working relationship with pastor, business administrator and other parish leadership 9. Demonstrated ability to work well with others 10. Understand the parish culture and adjust actions to fit that culture 11. Confidentiality, integrity, and honesty 12. Demonstrated skills and interest in this type of work 13. Email/internet literacy 14. Ability to follow all guidelines of the parish Personnel Policy Handbook 15. Ability to be pleasant and service-oriented even when exposed to negative influences 16. Keeping supervisor and others informed 17. Maintaining a positive and helpful attitude at all times, even during difficult times Physical Demands 1. Work 40+ hours per week 2. Able to stand for long periods of time 3. Able to lift up to 50 lbs. using proper techniques 4. Able to work long hours when the position demands 5. Able to participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings, events or Masses 6. Able to operate tools and equipment in a safe and proficient manner
Organizational Name: St. John the Baptist Catholic Parish
Organizational City: Excelsior
Position Contact Name: Andrea McMerty-Brummer
Position Contact Title: Parish Administrator
Position Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Contact Phone: 952-474-8868
Number of Parish Households: 501-1,000
How to ApplySubmit cover letter, resume and professional references to Andrea McMerty-Brummer at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to: 680 Mill Street, Excelsior, MN 55331.
798 total views, 11 today