April 1, 2019
Part-Time Media Specialist/Learning Commons Supervisor – Saint Thomas Academy, Mendota Heights
Job DescriptionSaint Thomas Academy seeks a Part-time .6 FTE Media Specialist/Learning Commons Supervisor for the 2019-20 school year.
Promote and facilitate the primary function of the Anderson Learning Commons, which is to support and enrich the curriculum and the full educational program of Saint Thomas Academy. Empower students to be critical thinkers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information. Monitor and supervise students in library and computer labs to ensure a positive, safe working environment.
• Monitor and supervise students in the Anderson Learning Commons, computer lab and adjacent classroom to ensure a positive, safe working environment.
• Provide support to faculty, staff and students at Saint Thomas Academy in the areas of library research, online research and basic educational technology needs.
• Employment in and by the Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner which is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese, such that it can embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. It is expected that all employees will respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodation for the religious practices of employees not of the Roman Catholic faith will similarly be provided.
• In support of the mission and goals of Saint Thomas Academy, employees will follow all school policies and procedures.
• Support Saint Thomas Academy and the Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis’ mission and goals and actively articulate them to the Saint Thomas Academy Academy’s constituents and the wider community.
• Anderson Learning Commons
o Supervise all activity in the Anderson Learning Commons Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. This includes individual students, small groups, classes and volunteers
o Maintain a schedule for the Anderson Learning Commons Classroom and Computer Lab.
o Maintain and update the Saint Thomas Academy library catalog and corresponding database. This includes the selection, purchasing and cataloging of appropriate print and electronic materials for the library collection.
o Perform basic tasks in the library area, including, but not limited to, book check in/out, locating books and resources in the collection for students, supervising test takers in the Anderson Learning Commons and creating thematic book displays.
o Manage and evaluate digital resources available to the Saint Thomas Academy community as they relate to library sciences and academic research. This includes, but is not limited to, Noodletools and Turnitin.com.
o Prepare and manage an annual library budget. Administer all necessary business and library related budgetary records.
o Instruct students in all aspects of information literacy, enabling them to select, evaluate and use the most appropriate information sources for their needs.
o Maintain the archive of Saint Thomas Academy historical texts and materials.
o Plan, lead and organize the Saint Thomas Academy Pagers program.
o Maintain professional relationships with associations, libraries, and other media personnel to promote professional growth.
● Media Technology Department
o Participate in the departmental functions of the Media Technology Department
o Provide assistance and support for students and faculty with basic use of educational technology systems, computers and printers.
o Participate in departmental initiatives and perform special projects and additional duties as directed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job responsibilities.
Job Qualifications• Bachelor’s degree in education, library science or related field or equivalent experience
• Interest in and aptitude for educational technology
• Experience in a school library/learning commons environment preferred
• Ability to communicate effectively with parents, students, faculty, staff and others
• Knowledge of current technology, ability to keep current with technology
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Speak and write in order to communicate with students, parents and colleagues
• Move throughout the school buildings, including walking up and down stairs
Institution DescriptionSaint Thomas Academy is a Catholic private school located in Mendota Heights, MN that offers college-preparatory, military/leadership for male students in grades 6-12. For more than 130 years, the Saint Thomas Academy community of students, parents, faculty, and alumni has prepared young men in an environment influenced by the message of Jesus Christ to succeed in college and life. STA’s tradition, discipline, and spirit influence the life of a young man long after graduation.
Application Instructions/CommentsQualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Deborah Berglund, HR Payroll and Benefits Specialist, Saint Thomas Academy, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 949 Mendota Heights Road, Mendota Heights, MN 55120.
Position will remain open until filled.
314 total views, 1 today