February 25, 2019
Full-Time Accounting Assistant – Ascension Catholic Academy, Minneapolis
Job DescriptionPOSITION TITLE: Accounting Assistant
(1723 Bryant Ave N, Minneapolis, MN)
REPORTS TO: Finance Director
RECEIVES WORK DIRECTION FROM:
Finance Director, Contracted Controller, Parish Administrator/Academy President
FLSA STATUS: Full-time/Non-exempt/ Eligible for Benefits
SCHEDULE: 40 hours/week, 12 months/year, Mon – Fri
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Accounting Assistant position exists to record, report, and distribute financial data accurately and in a timely manner, in order to ensure that the financial status of Church of the Ascension and Ascension Catholic Academy are properly displayed and preserved, in compliance with all legal and ethical requirements. This position will operate within the central operations team in support of Ascension Parish and a network of schools managed within Ascension Parish. This position will serve in alignment with Ascension Parish’s mission of providing a sanctuary in which all are invited to recognize, acknowledge, and live in God’s presence.
Employment in and by the Church is substantially different from secular employment. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals, or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, such that it can embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. This position does not require that the employee be a Catholic. It is expected that all employees respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodation for the religious practice of employees not of the Catholic faith will be provided.
1. Accounts Receivable
• Prepare Classroom and Fundraiser DRLs for Weekly Finance Staff Meeting
• Enter all Daily Receipts Logs (DRLs) into QuickBooks
• Enter all Vanco transactions into QuickBooks
• Enter all family payments received directly by TADS into QuickBooks
• File DRLs, Vanco Reports, and TADS Reports in locked file cabinets
2. Accounts Payable
• Enter manual and voided (unused) checks into QuickBooks
• Process, mail, and distribute signed payables checks
• File paid invoices and accompanying documentation
• Communicate with vendors as necessary regarding unpaid or missing invoices
• Maintain Vendor List in QuickBooks (set up new vendors, update vendor addresses, etc.)
3. Bank Deposits
• Make deposits on a weekly basis as needed (minimum 3 times/week)
• Obtain deposits receipts from bank and attach to DRLs or distribute to Advancement accordingly
4. Academy Collections
• Open, count, and record all monies collected from Ascension students at least 3 times/week
• Commute to SPC and JPII schools 3 times/week to pick up DRLs and payables to be paid
5. Financial Statements
• Distribute monthly, quarterly, and end of year statements as required (staff, Finance Committee, FOA Board, Academy Board, SPC Church)
• Maintain a binder of monthly financial statements for the Finance Department
6. Meetings (attend as required)
• Weekly Finance Staff Meeting
• Weekly Finance Department Meeting
• Monthly Finance Review Meeting
• Monthly All Staff Meeting
• Other meetings as necessary
7. Backup Responsibilities (as necessary)
• Finance Coordinator
• Director of Operations – open and distribute mail if HR assistant is not available
8. Miscellaneous Administrative duties as needed (copying, filing, scanning, mailing, faxing)
9. Entry of all TADS paid transactions, adjustments, and corrections into TADS database.
10. Participate as an active member of parish staff and other staff teams as appropriate and directed. This participation includes but is not limited to meetings and projects.
• Participate fully and responsibly in safety, security, HR, and finance guidelines, policies and procedures.
• Actively engage, as appropriate for this position, with providing updates and materials for communication tools, such as the website.
• Support and assist volunteers as appropriate for your position.
11. When interacting with students, parents, co-workers, parishioners, volunteers, and other community members, employees must conduct themselves in a responsible, professional manner consistent with Catholic teaching, inside and outside of work when engaging in any kind of communication (social media, email, blog, etc.).
12. Maintain a clean and orderly workspace
The responsibilities listed above are representative responsibilities intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities and qualifications required of the position. More detailed listing of duties and tasks may be outlined in supplemental documents. Assigned responsibilities may change, as the needs of Church of the Ascension and Ascension Catholic Academy change.
Job Qualifications1. Associate’s Degree or Accounting Certificate (or equivalent years of Accounting/Finance experience)
2. Knowledge and understanding of general accounting functions with a minimum of 1 year experience
3. Proficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and preferably QuickBooks)
4. Detail oriented
5. Ability to enter data quickly yet thoroughly and accurately
6. Organizational skills
7. General business and administrative skills
8. Effective written and verbal communication skills
9. Ability to prioritize
10. 10-Key Proficient
11. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment when necessary
12. Ability to travel to other work locations on a weekly basis
POSITION PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Able to work 40 hours per week
2. Able to manage stairs and on-level walking
3. Able to sit for prolonged periods of time
4. Ability to work with computer equipment
5. Ability to hear and verbally respond to individuals
Institution DescriptionThe Academy serves a total of 486 scholars in the 2016-17 School Year.
• Free/Reduced Lunch: 78%
• Students of Color: 95%
• ELL Students: 30%
• Catholic: 45%
Community DescriptionAscension Catholic Academy is a consortium of schools, with centralized leadership and governance of multiple schools to deliver academic excellence and coordinate efforts to serve the whole child. It is the result of more than a year of study by Church of the Ascension and its partners on the best strategy to ensure excellence and sustainability in Catholic schools serving low-income scholars and families in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area. Three schools are currently in the consortium: St. Peter Claver, St. John Paul II Preparatory and Ascension Catholic School. Each of these schools primarily serves scholars who come from diverse backgrounds, with a large majority in need of additional academic and social support.
Application Instructions/CommentsAscension Catholic Academy,
Attn: HR Department,
1723 Bryant Ave N,
Minneapolis, MN 55411.
312 total views, 2 today